Sunday, September 7, 2014

I Traversed the Chilled Desert For You

Every day I dream, dream of an enchanting, bountiful oasis
With fruits of plenty to eat my fill, crystal water to revitalize
Upon dusk, I would stare into the desert sky with starlit laces
Then turning, your glamorous lights could only hypnotize

My feet take flight, once more returning to the night-chilled sand
I give it my all in a hurry, stumbling, falling, then stumbling again
Keeping my eyes to you, hoping to embrace, I reach out my hand
Wait for me, my beloved, I'll be there in a moment soon, as I can

Within few bounds' distance, I hear your call for me, it reaches my ears
I'm nearly there, what could happen now, what need is there for fears?

But in a moment's glance, the shadow of the night takes you, you and your beauty
And what I find, it's quite the cruel parting gift, mundane tea cups, not rose-colored glasses
All I do is just stand here, at our suppose rendezvous, my arranged and committed duty
Chilled by the desert wind, now I can only wonder why I chose you instead of my classes

The narrator of "Araby" is quite the interesting character, paralleling his affections for a girl to a curiosity for an exotic country. However, instead of that exuberant atmosphere of a rambunctious marketplace, there lies only a solemn silence in a dark, deserted square. One reality of life is that love is sometimes, more often than not, cruel when it smacks you in the face with reality when you're wandering around a daydream. Then all that remains is a dejected attitude and regrets over having fallen in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment